Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cooper is here!

So I know I'm a little behind the times here, but it's been a pretty busy 3 weeks.  Cooper was born Wednesday, February 2 at 1:59PM via c-section.  We definately hadn't planned on that.  Since I went over my due date, I was scheduled to be induced on the evening of February 3rd.  We were going along with that and trying to "plan" as much as we could.  Cooper had other plans.

All day on February 1st, from 6AM on, I was having contractions that got to be about 4 mins apart by about 5:00.  Corey convinced me to call the doctor (who was actually the midwife on call) and they told us to come on in and they'd check me out.   So we hung out in triage of the Labor and Delivery unit for 3 hours (until 11 that night) with no progress.  The stupid midwife sent us home, eventhough I was 4 days overdue, OBVIOUSLY in labor, and I was getting induced in 2 days.  They gave me a pain shot that was supposed to help me sleep and, according to the nurse, would probably make the contractions stop altogether.  Neither happened. 

3 hours later, we were back at the hospital, and this time, I said I wasn't dealing with the midwife. I wanted the doctor.  She admitted us, it was close to 3AM.  Epidural was given at 4AM and I was happy.  Throughout the course of the morning, the nurses would come in every once in a while and say that Cooper's heartrate would drop some with contractions, but they weren't really concerned.  About 5 hours after they started the Pitocin, the nurse kept coming in a little more frequently, saying that with every contraction, he was dropping to the 90's.  And I was STILL just 1cm dilated!  Enter the doctor and our options.  C-section within a couple of hours, or see if I can dilate on my own without pitocin.  C-section it is!

This was the first time I had ever had any type of surgery, aside from my wisdom teeth removed 9 years ago.  It was a little scary not really knowing what was going on, but I'm glad that Cooper got out safe and healthy.  The whole process went very smoothly.

So...here we are, 3 weeks later and our little man is growing like a weed.  He was 6lbs 14 oz and 19 inches at birth.  When we left the hospital (at 3 days old), he was 6lbs 8oz.  He was up to 7lbs when we went to the pediatrician at 6 days old.  At his 2 week check, he was 8lbs, 2oz and 21inches long! He is such a great baby, really only gets fussy when he's hungry.  We just love him to pieces!  Here are some pics from the past 3 weeks.  I'll try to be better at getting pictures up in a more timely fashion :)

Just before surgery



First Hagemann Family Photo


3 days old, getting ready to go home

Cooper makes it home to meet the dogs

Cooper and dad getting ready to watch the Super Bowl

4 days old

Washing Cooper's hair Feb 15th

First trip to Swift Cantrell Park in Kennesaw, Feb 17th

First nap in his own crib, Feb 19th

Hanging out on the Boppy, Feb 21

Tummy time, Feb 21

No comments:

Post a Comment